If you have been looking for a solution to manage your facility, in your research you must have come across acronyms like CMMS, EAM, CAFM, IWMS. If you want to choose the right facility management software solution for your organization, you need to have a clear understanding of what they are and their benefits.
In this article, we’re going to discuss just that. Here are four of the most common types of facility management software solutions, what they do, and how they can be of benefit to your business.
Computerized maintenance management software, or CMMS, is a computer software program designed to manage facilities maintenance more effectively.
Benefits of CMMS:
- Increases efficiency by standardizing processes, optimizing maintenance schedules, and improving access to resources.
- Improves the health and safety of workers by eliminating safety violations and managing safety training.
- Controls costs by tracking and reporting, avoiding rework and scrap, and saving energy.
- Collects data and information by tracking metrics and KPIs and accessing historical information.
- Reduces downtime by clearing backlogs, simplifying maintenance tasks, and scheduling preventive maintenance to increase reliability.
EAM stands for Enterprise Asset Management Software and is commonly referred to as a CMMS. Although, an EAM tends to be more in-depth than a typical CMMS.
Benefits of EAM:
- Simplifies the huge task of keeping track of the physical assets of a company to improve operational productivity.
- Shrinks capital costs, decrease asset-related operating costs, increases an asset’s lifespan, and therefore improves the return on assets (ROA).
- Management can better control the productivity and cost of every business asset with real-time visibility of every aspect of the assets to gain a competitive advantage.
- Increases visibility into the physical assets of your organization and lets businesses predict future risks and respond to initial update requests.
Computer-Aided Facility Management, also known as CAFM, focuses on maintenance, occupancy, and supporting facility management through information technology to provide visibility into maintenance decisions and work orders.
Benefits of CAFM:
- Maintain full asset register for audit purposes, manage condition surveys, maintain assets that are within warranty, and conduct contract renewals.
- Hold a complete view of all stock detail, including preferred supplier, last supplier, last price paid, bin location, reorder quantity, restock level, and part number.
- Maintain up-to-date records of leases, rents, and tenures, with alerts set to ensure you do not miss renewals.
- Multimedia storage allows you to hold records against all assets and hold full asbestos registers and hazard documentation.
- Mobile and Web-based functionality mean you are not limited to certain devices, so no need for an expensive hardware investment – you can access asset data anytime, anywhere!
An Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS) is a software platform that helps organizations optimize the use of workplace resources, including the management of a company’s real estate portfolio, infrastructure, and facilities assets.
Benefits of IWMS:
- Space portfolio decision-making becomes easier, such as renewing leases, decreasing the property inventory, or whether or not to construct a new building with real-time, accurate data.
- Employees can access and report on information quickly instead of digging through Excel spreadsheets or multiple software platforms, which increases productivity enterprise-wide.
- Having the tools to better predict space needs and plan for short- and long-term use helps with cost-cutting.
- IWMS helps communicate information company-wide via the Internet and intranet, which makes the decision-making process even more effective and timely.